Some people I know absolutely dread shopping for the kids in their family. I don’t really understand why.
My family is pretty big, so there’s always going to be some whining and some gifts that go over better than others… that’s only natural.
However, there are a few pretty foolproof tips I like to follow when shopping for kids.
- Books… cool books. Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Dr. Seuss classics, etc… I love buying books for kids. Just today, I bought a friend’s daughter a set of 6 Little Golden Books. Love ’em. They’re good for years and relatively cheap.
- Art supplies or science gear. In my family, we are artists. The kids love stickers, markers, coloring books, drawing games… anything that has to do with creating something, they eat it up. If your family is more science-y (is that a word?), growing your own crystals is cool… or mixing potions!
- Movies. Check with the parents to see what movies the kids enjoy and get that! Easy.
- Cool Toy Of The Year. I’m guessing that this year it isn’t Tickle Me Elmo. Whatever the “hot toy” is, you can be the town hero if you are able to snag one for the kids in your family.
- Video game for that system the kid has. Check with the parents on this one too.
- Leap Frog! Call me a nerd, but I would have LOVED Leap Frog when I was a kid. Yeah, I’ll call myself a nerd for that one 🙂