Last year we shared a list of what to buy for kids… but what about babies and toddlers? They’re kids too, with specific wants and needs that aren’t always the same as the older kids.
Here are a few ideas for what to buy for the younger set:
1. Books. Yes this is the same as #1 on the kids list, but there are different criteria. I recommend Sandra Boynton books, which are super popular with younger kids (and she’s funny too, so it’s not a boring read for parents), and Little Golden Books like the Poky Little Puppy – one of my childhood favorites 🙂
2. Clothing. Especially useful for parents with new babies. I’ve heard that socks are always a good gift, and anything easily laundered. One of my friends got a cashmere onesie for her daughter… why is this even produced? Don’t they know that babies are messy? Mysteries of the world…
3. Educational Stuff. Baby Einstein is crazy good. I don’t know what it is about it, but those videos are entrancing. I also love Leap Frog, and Fisher Price has come out with a bunch of new toys recently. Melissa and Doug toys are great if you can catch them on sale. Lots to choose from.
4. Babysitting Coupons. When in doubt, a solid gift is always to offer babysitting services free of charge. Be sure to bring snacks or plan a day out with the kids so that the parents have some time to unwind or have a date night.
5. Ornaments/Mementos. If it’s Baby’s First Christmas, there are a TON of options ranging from Christmas tree ornaments to picture frames… you could also opt for a Shutterfly gift certificate so that the parents can order whatever prints (or calendars or photo books) they’d like.
What baby/toddler gifts have been a hit for you or your kids?